My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Getting my goat, airwaves style

There are these HBA ads on the radio at the moment, where 'Mr Streetwise Modern Guy' is telling off his friend 'Mr Dropkick Bogan Guy', about wearing parachute pants, and not having private health insurance to avoid extra tax.

Question - How on earth is Mr Dropkick Bogan Guy earning over $50 a year, let alone the $50k threshold you need to pass to be required to take hospital cover?!

I know, it's just an ad, but it's stupid.

Also, could the radio please stop playing Christina Aguilera's new song so frequently? Once a day, fine. Once every two hours (I kid you not), not fine. I actually like Christina's music (please hold your taunts!), and this is really making me not want to listen to her CD.

And damn MMM Melbourne (and I'm sure their Sydney counterpart as well) for saying that a squillion listeners needed to register for the 'Music Jury', so that they could avoid becoming an ethnic radio station.
I know that they would say 'it's just a joke', but it was advertised in such a way, and with such fervour, that one gets the impression that MMM think that the listeners would actually believe it, and sign up in droves. I find it patronising.
Thing is, if they did become an ethnic radio station, it would be better than their current daily programming - Ashlee Simpson's 'Pieces of Me', everything by Nickelback, and 'Land Down Under' or 'This is Australia' on alternating evenings during The Shebang.
Now, after the condescending recruitment drive, they're playing ads saying 'thanks to your vote, we're playing (insert Nickelback clip), instead of (insert Macarena music)'. Yeah, big change, thanks for that.

See, I need a station which plays R'n'B, Jazz, Classical, and a hint of poppyness, with witty hosts and relevant social commentary, with minimal ads. I'm dreaming, aren't I?

2 Comments:

Blogger Ren said...

Yeah, big dreams. That's when you buy yourself an MP3 player, plug it into your sound system and play your favourite music when you want.

8/24/2006 3:47 pm  
Blogger Janet said...

Yeah, I have two iPods - a nano for the gym, and a 20 gig (which I've given to Stu), but I like mixing it up, and I want to hear people talking, random observations, different perspectives... my iPod just can't give me that, unless of course I trawl through the net downloading podcasts... but who can be bothered?

8/25/2006 11:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home