My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Friday, November 18, 2005

Friday Fact

It's Bec's 21st birthday this Sunday. Happy birthday bella!
She doesn't read this, as far as I know, but hey, it's out there.

I decided I needed something new to wear to the party tomorrow night, so I gleefully hit the shops for some retail therapy after work yesterday.
Now, being the host of some serious curvature, it's not as simple as just walking into any store - I have to do my research to know which places stock things which will accommodate and flatter my frame.

I'm in an awful position where my proportions are often a teensy bit generous for regular girly shops, but too small for plus-size girly shops. It blows.
And the cut on bigger clothing is all wrong for my frame - I have a waist and bust, which I don't want to hide under shapeless shirts. The skirts often just hang off my hips, and ugh, everything's elasticised. I'm big, not disabled! I know how to operate a zipper! Plus, the extra gathered fabric created by the elastic can create unflattering bulges, making one look even larger.

Now, maybe I have expensive taste, but whenever I hit the mother lode of style and comfort, I am charged an amount possibly better spent on eradicating third world debt. Yet, when perusing other stores or departments, I see identical items, at half the price. Same fabric, same designer, literally identical. Now, the ignorant might say "But you fatties need so much more fabric, you can't get it for free!", however, they are completely deluded (and rude).
Firstly, the difference between these sizes is no more than a few inches (in my case, anyways), which is the same as the difference between a size eight and size twelve. But twelvies don't have to pay more, why should a sixteenie, or a twenty-sixie? Having been a cog in the machine of a major fabric retailer for many years, I know exactly how much manufacturers are paying for their materials, and the difference between the sizes is negligible. You would be astounded at the markup on even the smallest item of clothing, so someone making clothes for bigger girls would be swimming in profits.

Some shoptions -
Big City Chic - Lots of younger styles, not afraid to let you show some skin. Too big for me however, even their 'small' sizes swamped me. Lots of polyester.
My Size- Big, shapeless clothes, usually. Big, scary pricetags, often, even on the cheaply made items. Elastic galore.
16/26 - I have a few skirts from here, which I wear a lot. However, I've never found a top here that didn't try to make me look like a grandma.
Target - So unflattering. Sometimes some linen or cotton, but mostly in huge shapes. Loads of polyester, kept up by elastic.

A tip from me to you - if you're a hourglass shaped woman, having trouble finding clothes to play up your sexiness, go to Myer. Still pricey, but I can always leave with something I'm proud to wear. Lovely fabrics, great detailing, and proper fastenings.

Oh, and for the record, I'll be wearing a black strapless cotton jersey dress, with shirred bodice and handkerchief hem. Might need to pop out tonight to get a tie front bolero cardigan, to cinch in my waist, and protect my modest shoulders. Hopefully in blue, to match the earrings my friend Jen bought for me, which feature lovely indigo firepolished czech crytals. You should have seen the look of appreciation on Stu's face when I paraded that dress about the living room - priceless!

5 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

Hope you're not offended by my posting these links:

http://www.sizeappeal.com

http://www.cuddlesandcurves.com.au/

http://www.cuddlesandcurves.com.au/

Oh and if your party tomorrow night is in Stkilda rd..... see you there :-) (A clue.. I'm the one playing the tunes!)

11/18/2005 3:09 pm  
Blogger Janet said...

Not at all Deej, thanks for those!

As for the party - I wish! We're going to a new Chinese restaurant in Frangaland which my sister loves. I'll be having steamed rice, with steamed vegetables! Shame, I could do with a groove.

11/18/2005 3:13 pm  
Blogger DJ said...

http://www.2roads.com.au/ too

11/18/2005 3:41 pm  
Blogger Martie said...

Did you get this dress at Myer? Sounds best! Can u give me the details???

11/19/2005 2:47 pm  
Blogger Kate said...

I so know what you mean. I am too big for the regular girlie shops too, but too small for the "larger women" shops. Plus, at 23, I don't want to be dressing like a 40 year old. Yet I wouldn't trade my curves for the world.

11/19/2005 10:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home