My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

It's not convenient?!

Okay, so you all remember my uncle's sudden acquisition of fiancee and kids? Eh, it's somewhere in the archives, or email me, we'll talk.

Anyways, we're all very happy that he is settled and content. However, we are also a bit worried about his priorities.

My sister is to be married in April next year. Bec is very family oriented, doesn't care who screwed over whoever, her motto would be "Why can't we all just get along?". Born with rose tinted pupils, in Bec's world every cloud has a silver lining, a buffet, and a pool.

So imagine her shock to find that her beloved Uncle wouldn't be attending the wedding next year. When he was single, he was planning on donning his ceremonial uniform on the special day, now apparently "It's not convenient". These things don't usually happen to Bec, so she's a bit hurt, to say the least. She's offered accomodation for him and the new brood, to pay for flights, and said that she understands if just he flies down quickly for the celebrations, and flies back, without lingering. No takers.

Me, well, I'm not surprised. I learnt long ago to expect that everyone, family included, is capable of causing disappointment. Hey, I'm sure I've been the cause of it myself on occasion.
I personally won't miss him. I hardly know him. He has always afforded Bec more attention than me, and hasn't acknowledged any of my life's achievements the way he has for her. But I'm sad for Bec, and my dad, both of whom were eagerly awaiting his visit.

Eh, cest la vie.

1 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Aw K, don't be sad.
I know that many classify a 'big' wedding' as being one involving many, many guests.
But really, noone knows that many people. So those traditional 'big weddings' are full of guests the couple don't actually know - colleagues of the parents, the local plumber, the doctor of the aunt.
Better is a celebration involving those who mean the world to you, who are coming to witness something beautiful, to create a memory, rather than just to get a free meal.
And just think, wouldn't it be better to have x amount of money to spread over 50 people, rather than stretching it over 150 people? Imagine how lavish the dress could be, how decadent the favours, how special the wine. That to me, is a big wedding.

I'll be there in spirit, at the very least!

11/17/2005 9:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home