My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

It is a tu-mah!

I've recently started experiencing pain in my right wrist whenever I do push ups, or engage in some personal gratification (sorry to go there guys!). I can't bend my hand back anywhere near the amount I used to, and it worried me a little.
One day, I did the opposite, and bent my hand forward. Protruding from my wrist was a strange lump, as if my bone were pushed out of its socket.

Apparently it's nothing to worry about, it is what they call a ganglion cyst. It's a sac of fluid that builds in between the bones at the wrist, pinching nerves and being generally painful, not to mention creepy looking.

It's not life threatening, but the doctor gave me some options -
1 - Surgery. Will remove current tumour. Will not guarantee that tumour won't return.
2 - Drop the family bible on it. Will burst current tumour. Could still return.
3 - Immobilise wrist. Nu-uh! I am not ambidextrous, at all.
4 - Ignore problem. Can do!

It could go away by itself, it could get worse. So I'm stuffed, really.

There are a few reasons why I could have developed the tumour in the first place.
1 - Joint cracking. Yep, I'm one of those people. Sorry.
2 - Over use. The doctor would like to attribute this to frequent computer use. I am ashamed to say that it is most likely from clicking a mouse of an entirely different kind.
3 - Too much pressure. Over the years, I've taken part in loads of contact sports, combat classes, boxing circuits, and such. Not so good for jointy bits.
4 - Sleeping position. I sleep all curled up in a ball, with my right hand in a funny position under my head. I often wake up with hurty joints, my wrist included.

I'm hoping that this will not affect my handwriting, drawing, or potential to craft beautiful cakes and sugar decorations in the future. In the meantime, I'll have to make an effort to share the love between my hands, and become a bi-handed superlady!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home