My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Monday, October 10, 2005

The weekend was too short

Friday night, I settled in with some Billy Connolly. This was a good start to the weekend, though I did doze off towards the end of the disk... so tired!

I was half dreading Saturday. We were visiting Stu's grandparents, and his grandma has a habit of slipping insults into the conversation. There were none that I could detect this time, though she has taken to calling me her Mona Lisa. At first I thought that this too was a thinly veiled insult (ie. round and pale), but I'm sugar coating it with the thought that the Mona Lisa has captivated the imaginations of men throughout the ages... that ain't half bad!

The funniest thing about this grandma is her sense of propriety. She started a conversation by saying "Oh, I hope you don't mind me asking this, and don't answer if you don't want to..." and the dread rises in my gut "...is your mother a tall woman?" I breathe a sigh of relief, and answer easily.
And then, in the middle of us showing her pictures of our cat, and the unit, and the day we got engaged, she just drops a "Do you take naked pictures of each other?" Que?!
Why is asking about my mum's height a more sensitive question than a direct enquiry about our bedroom antics? Heh, makes me laugh.

I also learnt to play Gin Rummy... I really like it (mainly because I won a few times)!

That night was great. I went out to dinner with some high school friends to celebrate my friend's birthday last week, and my birthday, next week. I received a beautiful set of Japanese ceramic dipping bowls and serving plates, glazed in an irridescent shade of blue tinged jade. The details are key with these girls though, so they were beautifully wrapped, and accompanied by the cutest cards!
Two of the girls came back to my place, and though I had intended for us to partake of some kind of entertainment, we just chatted all night. I climbed into bed at 4am, and dreamed heavily until morning.

The sleep I had was insufficient though, as I was feeling moody and rushed all morning. We were off to my parent's house for lunch, and once there, Bec started enthusing about the bridesmaid's dress fitting I am to endure next weekend. Already I've been dreading the idea of a stranger wrapping a tape measure around my curves, knowing that my measurements will be hollered out to all and sundry. I know that my size is no secret, but I could get along quite nicely without being appraised.
But now her fiancee's mother will be there, in addition to the other blonde size 10 bridesmaid... virtual strangers privvy to this most mortifying of rituals.

Add this to my tiredness, plus some other things that have been weighing on my mind recently, and you have one unhappy girl. I cried and cried, but mum, thankfully cushioned my fall. Stu was horrified to come through and see me sobbing, so once adequately comforted, he took me home and wrapped me up in his loving.

Calm and contented, I took to the roads for a driving lesson, and then came home to the deceptively monstrous job of weeding our garden. Well, our patch was fine, but the landscaping either side of the driveway leading up to our unit, and another, had also become overrun. It doesn't belong to anyone in particular (least of all us, as the other units are both owner-occupied), but it's not aesthetically pleasing, so out it all came! A bit of Jill Scott in my ear, and a lovely breeze made it quite enjoyable.
But the best part - my cyst burst! I was using the hedge trimmers to carve through a stubborn branch, and as they snapped back together, I felt a strange sensation in my wrist. "Oh, just the cyst", thought I, but when I surveyed the damage, there was nothing to see! My wrist had shrunk down to almost its original size, just a small bump remains. Still a bit hurty though.

I could do with one more day to kick my heels up, but today's flying past... not long until another weekend (compared with say, Christmas)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home