My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Pleasant Surprise

My uncle has always been the epitome of bachelorhood. A soldier for over twenty years, being untethered was either a convenient choice, or an unfortunate product of his lifestyle - I could never tell. He seems nice enough, and his work as a chef means he can prepare a fantastic meal, but his dense beard means he resembles Ned Kelly, with the smiling eyes characteristic of my father's side of the family.

His freedom meant that he could offer his services in Timor in times of need, which happened to be both humanitarian and very lucrative. Out of the profits he made from his tours of duty, he built and furnished a house in a lazy bayside town in Queensland. Now retired from service, his pension funds a life of pool competitions, televised cricket, and more than his fair share of drinking. This drinking means that he has chosen not to acquire a driver's license, but as a reliable taxi service operates in his area, this is of no major consequence. I believe that he has joined the army reserves, and serves infrequently, I suppose as a way to remain an active member of the army community, as he is in no desperate need of funds.

My grandparents (his parents) live nearby, and try to ensure that his clothes are put away, the bathroom is hygenic, and his meals consist of more than beef and gravy. At 43, many would say he's living the good life. He's set, and can spend the rest of his days pursuing each and every one of his whims. But murmurs on the periphery suggested that he may have reason to harbour some envy of my father, who left the army to pursue the career, wife and kids expected of a respectable man.

But purported envy will no longer rap at the window of my uncle's consciousness. No more than a few short months ago, Granny reported that he had found himself a 'long haired friend'. Just this week, he has proposed marriage! I've not had the privilege of talking to, or even seeing a picture of my new aunt to be (I don't even know her name!), but I hear that she's a mother to 12 and 15 year old children, and a keen pool player. So my uncle now has an instant family, and a partner who shares his interests. Good on him!

Though this uncle has not personally extended his well wishes to Stuart and I on our engagement, I still feel obligated to send some form of congratulations his way. I've always felt that he preferred my sister and brother to me, for reasons multitudinous, but sharing his joy seems the natural thing to do. I'm not sure if we are to be invited to any celebrations of theirs, but he, and his fiancee, are certainly welcome at ours.

So, I'm raising the symbolic glass of bubbly to their ongoing success and happiness together. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home