My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Thursday, September 29, 2005

Point scoring

DJ asked a good question today, about how points are calculated.

Points are based on a combination of kilojoules and saturated fats.
Originally, they calculated on total fat, but a few years ago they realised that there are some healthy fats, which are essential to our wellbeing. So by only restricting unhealthy saturated fats, Weight Watchers members enjoy strong bones and healthy coats.

It varies a bit, for example, 1 point can equal anything between min 100kjs + 3.5g sat fat and max 325kjs + 0.5g sat fat.
So, 1 point could be an apple, or it could be a Lindt chocolate ball.
Obviously, someone wanting to lose weight would tend to try and eat more of the apples, and less of the chocolates, but the great thing about the program is that if you want half of each, that's acceptable.

I have a slide calculator, so I just line up the values, and it tells me the points. Thank goodness that it's now compulsory to display nutritional values on packaging!
WW publish little guides though, which cover grocery foods, brand name foods, and restaurant foods. I have most regular things memorised now.

They follow up the simple points theory with a lot of nutritional information in meetings, so members are empowered to make sensible choices. A lot of emphasis is placed on eating balanced amounts of protein, dairy and carbohydrates. As vegetables are point free, and nutrient rich, members are encouraged to include these abundantly. Also water. Eating at regular intervals is key, as it is easier for your body to deal with several smaller meals. As too, of course, is regular exercise. You can earn bonus points for exercise, but I choose not to take this option, as I try to work out for health, not extra food.

I'm currently on 18 points, as I am kickstarting my efforts. Here's what I ate on Tuesday:

Breakfast - 60g Tropicana museli with a splash of light milk - 4 points.
Morning tea - Apple - 1
Lunch - Mug of chicken and sweetcorn soup - 1
Tub of French cheesecake lite yoghurt - 3
Afternoon tea - Vanilla OTs bar - 1.5
Pre dinner snack - carrot and salsa - 0
Dinner - Baked tandoori chicken breast(125g) - 4
Diced cucumber with dressing (splenda, mint, white wine vinegar, seasoning) - 0
Dessert - 100g Connossieur Caramelised pear yoghurt - 3.5

I know that many programs recommend loads of meat or carbs, but this one works for me, and I feel as bright as a button on it. I'm already feeling a lot clearer in the head and lighter in my carriage.

Next week, I will increase my points intake to one appropriate to my dimensions, most likely 22. I will continue with this allowance until either the effect plateaus, or my weight decreases to a lower range, whichever comes first.

Based on past results, I can look forward to reducing gradually and healthily, if I follow the ideology. Fingers crossed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home