My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Monday, October 03, 2005

Bubbles, bubbles everywhere...

Oh, the weekend was lovely.

When we signed on the dotted line to book our ceremony venue months ago, we were rewarded with a bottle of sparkling wine, and dinner for two in their partner restaurant at Docklands, Medici. We took advantage of this as a way to celebrate our six years of togetherness.

So, as we were going to the city, I thought that I should book us some accommodation, so that Stu could indulge in a drink or two should he so desire, and we could meander home at will.
My criteria were that the hotel had to be a reasonable proximity to the restaurant, have an impressive rating, and dammit, I wanted a spa! This left one option - Crown Towers.

Very nice. Check in was a breeze, the valets dealt with everything, and the view was fantastic. We could watch as the fire show blazed from the columns along the river - I'm a sucker for it, must be the pyromaniac in me! The room was sumptuously furnished, and generously proportioned.

Dinner was delicious. I had marinated chicken on steamed rice and salad greens. I can't describe how heavenly the sweet honey mustard dressing was, all soaked through the rice. Yum. Dessert - fneh. I tried some creme caramel, but it was a lot more bland than I expected. However, it was also a lot better for me than the other desserty offerings. The decor was Italianate slick, and the view captivating, so come summer, they should be doing a roaring trade.

We wandered through the Crown complex on the way back to our room. Well, I should say 'jostled' as every man and his dog, plus his kids and nanna had descended upon the facilities. Back in the relative calm of the hotel, we enjoyed the chocolate covered macadamias included in the turn down service, settled into the spa, and created a mess. Bubbles covered everything! We had to enjoy the spa jets at intervals, so that we could see each other. But, oh, it was good.

TV1 was having a 'Just Shoot Me' marathon, so I enjoyed a foot massage while Stu giggled the night away. And other activities... Can't say I noticed much of a difference between the king size bed and the queen at home, but oh, the sheets! Must have had a thread count of 7000! Divine. And the curtains - the blockout was so effective, I was convinced that it was still 3am, at 8!

The room service breakfast was just what we needed, toast with condiments, fruit smoothies, coffee and tea. More 'Just Shoot Me'. Perfect.

What wasn't perfect was the queue for checkout. But there were staff serving guests in the line, so we were out in two minutes. But we were greeted with yet another queue, as the valets hurriedly returned cars to the impatient throng. I filed my nails, voiced my displeasure at the offerings in the windows of Versace and Burberry, and giggled as Stu gossiped about toe cleavage.

As we were nearby, we stopped by the South Melbourne market for my all time favourite - the homemade dim sims. These are sublime. The size of a small fist, packed with spicy pork and cabbage. I used to work a two minute walk away from this dim sim Mecca, and every market day the office would be ripe with the intoxicating smell.
We didn't buy them to eat immediately, instead we bought a bag of ten cold ones to freeze and savour later. The temptation got the better of me and once home, we steamed one each for lunch... tasty!

Um, dinner with my family that night - all good. We watched 'Spaceballs'. Fneh. It was a plethora of Jewish jokes, so we felt a bit alienated. Hee - a space movie made us feel like aliens!

Cleaning frenzy the next day. Enjoyed a walk along the cliffs to a secluded beach nearby with Stu's parents, the weather was brilliant! Alas, the tide was too high for us to continue down the beach, so that I could covet the beachfront house of my dreams.

That's all I think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home