My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Beautiful surprise

I have a gorgeous little sister, Bec. She has been blessed with every possible positive attribute - great skin, tumbling curls, pretty eyes, fantastic figure, and a great personality to match. Everyone loves her, she's very easy to get along with. Despite years of silly sister fights growing up (I want that doll! etc.) she's now easily my best friend. I'm her maid of honour, she'll be my matron of honour (that always reminds me of A Country Practice!).

We have our differences - I'm eager to enjoy personal/financial success and delicious interior design with my delightful partner, sans kids (though I'm sure I'll end up with some, one day, so we're not lonely elderlies), and Bec's loving nature means that she is looking forward to having kids with her delightful partner, and settling down in a housing estate with a pseudo 4WD. But those differences reflect who we are, and we respect each other for it.

A few years back, on September 1st, one of us was pretending to be annoyed at the other, and said, 'You're off my Christmas card list!'. To continue the joke, Christmas cards were exchanged, good times were had by all. Ever since, we've exchanged little gifts between the two of us, every September 1st.

So yesterday afternoon I made sure to arrange for a bouquet of pale pink roses to be delivered to her work today, from my favourite florist. Pale pink is Bec's colour du jour, and she is using it as part of her romantic wedding theme. A little card saying 'Merry Christmas', and it was all set.

I didn't really give it much thought today, I knew they'd get there safe and sound. I went for my lunchtime walk, and came back to my own bouquet - lucky me! And it's beautiful! Red roses, white lilies, fragrant eucalyptus and palm fronds all combine for a striking display. Plus it's wrapped in red and green paper with red ribbon - so festive! Thanks, Beckles, for giving me a reason to use so many exclamation points!

And it's the first day of Spring! I don't think life can get much better!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home