My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Monday, September 12, 2005

Tired tunes and lost lust (Thursday)

So, the Boyz II Men concert was all that I expected : underwhelming. It was at Festy Hall - the worst possible venue for anything.
Random were the support act - fneh (yep, that's right, fneh).
We endured about an hour of some ageing hip hop guy trying to stretch the fabric of time while they struggled to get the system working.
Once, the Boyz finally found the stage, they admitted that they didn't think anyone would come, and then launched into it. I didn't know any of their new stuff, but it seems that they expected that, and didn't play much of it. They had a 'throwback' section, where they basically did obscure covers of 70's R'n'B stuff which probably 99% of the audience had no idea about (including myself), but we played along. Then some of their classics, which became a big sing along. Terrible accoustics, not a single live instrument, but an okay night (mainly because it only lasted just two and a half hours, including support and procrastnation!).

Funniest thing was bumping into a guy from high school, MB. My God, how times change.
I, from the ages of about 13 to 16, adored this guy. No secrets, everyone knew, even his mum. Sure there were other guys, but where MB was concerned I was a love sick puppy who just held out for a glimmer of hope.
However, I'm not completely stupid, and when Bec (my sister!) started going out with him, it became blatantly obvious that it wasn't going to happen. I cannot describe to you how much I cried about that - I was as devastated as a hormonal teenager could possibly be. I put up a wall of silence to my whole family, as even my mum said "It's not like he was ever interested in you!". Harsh, but true. So the wall crumbled, other guys came and went in my life, time went on. In fact, it was fairly soon after that Stu and I started making goo-goo eyes at each other.
Bec and MB lasted about a year, when he dumped her so that he could become a degenerate without feeling guilty about his girlfriend. Bec's moved on to become generally gorgeous and happy. I myself had completely forgotten about him, and had found happiness of my own.
But my oh my... MB hasn't changed a bit. Well, apart from the fact that he has crazy clown hair and seems shorter, and slightly wider... he's still not reaching for the stars in the personality stakes. We found him waiting for his friends outside Festival Hall, beer in hand, draped in Adidas, torrent of 'f' words spewing from his poorly maintained head. Bec and I restrained ourselves from flashing our symbolic diamonds in his face, and made polite small talk. Later on, inside the hall, we saw that he had upgraded to a beer in each hand - how talented!

Makes you thankful that fate knows what you need!

1 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

Funny thing Karma...

9/12/2005 12:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home